All Images, reflections, memories and fabrications ©2011 Tony Hernandez Photography

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I had no idea it was a job interview

Off to the yearbook classroom and my first meeting with "Mrs. D". She was a small woman with a big presence. Completely intense and kind of scary, she freaked me out right away. "I see here that you want to join the yearbook staff ... is that correct?" Yes ma'am, I do. "Do you have any photography experience?" Yes ma'am, I do. "O.K. , let me look over your application and I will get back to you." Thank you.

That was it. I walked away not feeling too good about the whole encounter but, you never know. A few days later, Mrs. D sent a pass to one of my classes so we could meet again. I was very nervous and excited at the same time. I went to her classroom, which was empty at the time. It was like the beginning of a scary movie. She was sitting at her desk doing some paperwork when I came in. She stopped what she was doing and looked up at me. "I wasn't sure you had enough experience but, I talked with our photo editor Bob. He said he thought you would make a good addition to the team. Welcome to the yearbook staff. We will see you next year."

That was it.

I was in.

My life in photography would begin a new chapter. My hopes of free football games and pom pom girls may have just been realized.

Thanks Bob .... it wouldn't have happened without your help.


No comments:

Post a Comment